Fred's French Fries
Source of Recipe
From "Fred Thompson's Southern Sides" by Fred Thompson
List of Ingredients
- 4 large russet potatoes, sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch sticks
- Canola oil for frying
- Coarse sea salt or truffled sea salt
- Place the cut potatoes in a bowl, cover with water, and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the potato sticks and lay them out in a dish or paper towels to dry. Be sure they are completely dry before frying.
- In a deep-fryer or Dutch oven, heat 2 inches of oil to 300°F.
Add the potatoes a handful at a time and cook until they're slightly limp, about 2 minutes. You don't want to brown them at this point. Remove the fries from the oil with a spider or slotted spoon. Transfer the potatoes to a rack set over a baking sheet and separate the sticks. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Increase the oil temperature to 375°F.
Again, add the potatoes in batches and fry until they are browned on the edges and crisp, around 5 minutes.
- Drain and transfer them to a bowl lined with paper towels. Season the fries with salt while they are still hot and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6
"I have cooked fries at 375°F for the first fry and then 385°F for the second. This produces more European-style frites."