Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage & Moz Stuff
Source of Recipe
Recipe Circus ?
Interesting stuffing that I found to be different & tasty!
List of Ingredients
Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage and Mozzarella Stuffing
10 cups 1/2-inch cubes day-old
French or Italian bread
-1/3 cup olive oil
-1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage,
remove from the casings
-2 minced large onions
-3 cloves minced garlic
-5 stalks celery
-1/2 pound mushrooms
-1/3 cup cream sherry
-3 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami
-3/4 pound fresh mozzarella
-1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth or
your own prepared stock defatted
-1 1/2 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
-1 1/2 cups minced fresh parsley
-salt & pepper freshly ground to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spread the bread cubes in a roasting pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Drizzle them with the 1/3 cup olive oil, tossing to coat the bread evenly. Toast the cubes in the oven, stirring occasionally until lightly browned all over, about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon until it is lightly browned all over. Transfer the sausage to a large mixing bowl and combine it with the toasted bread cubes.
3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the sausage drippings in the skillet and return to medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic and celery and saute until quite soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the sliced mushrooms and sherry and continue to saute until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes more. Add the vegetables to the bread and sausage mixture, stirring thoroughly to combine.
4. Add the salami and mozzarella to the stuffing. Pour in enough chicken stock to make the stuffing begin to bind together. Season the mixture with the Italian seasoning, parsley and saalt and pepper.
5. Stuff the turkey cavities immediately before roasting. Place any remaining stuffing in a buttered casserole and bake at 325 degrees until browned and crispy, about 45 minutes. Makes enough stuffing for a 20 to 24 pound turkey.