Basic German Chocolate Cake
Source of Recipe
Maggie Dea Viken
List of Ingredients
- 4 oz. German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 C. water
- 1 C. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 C. super fine sugar
- 5 jumbo eggs, separated, discard one egg white
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 C. unbleached, all-purp. flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 C. buttermilk
- coconut-pecan frosting
- In a small saucepan stir chocolate squares and water on low heat until chocolate is melted. Cool.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add 5 egg yolds, one at a time, beating well after each one. Add cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla, mixing well.
- Combine flour, soda and sea salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk. Set aside.
- On high, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into cake batter and pour into a prepared pan.
- Bake in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes or until pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and invert onto serving plate. Frost top, letting frosting dribble down sides, with coconut-pecan frosting.
- Refrigerate leftovers.