Source of Recipe
Maggie Dea Viken
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 C. unsalted butter
- 1/2 C. superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
- 6 jumbo egg yolks
- 2/3 C. unbleached flour
- 1/3 C. cornstarch
- 6 jumbo egg whites
- 1/4 C. superfine sugar
- 16 oz. sour cream
- 1/3 C. superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 C. fresh strawberries
- Chocolate buttercream frosting
- 1/2 C. strawberry jelly
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- In a small bowl beat butter about 30 seconds; gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, peel and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix flour, 1/3 cup cornstarch, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir into butter mixture.
- In a large bowl beat whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir a small amount of egg white into flour mixture. Fold flour mixture into whites.
- Grease an 8 inch springform pan. Spread a scant 1/2 cup batter evenly in the bottom. Place under broiler 5 inches from heat; broil 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully spread another scant 1/2 cup batter atop first layer. Broil as before, turning if necessary to brown evenly. Repeat; making 5 layers in all.
- Stir together sour cream, the remaining 1/3 cup sugar and the 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread half the mixture over top cake layer. Broil 1 minute or until set.
- Using remaining cake batter add 5 more layers, broiling as before.Spread with remaining sour cream mixture. Broil 1 minute or until set.
- Cool 15 minutes. Remove sides from pan; cool completely. Arrange strawberries around edge of torte and in the center. Frost sides with choclate buttercream frosting. Pipe a circle of frosting between rows of strawberries. Chill.
- Mix jelly, lemon juice and the 1 teaspoon cornstarch in a small saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened. Cool to room temperature. Just before serving spoon glaze atop berries.