Pecan Pie Cake
Source of Recipe
Maggie Dea Viken
List of Ingredients
- Cake ingredients
- 3 C. pecans, finely chopped and toasted
- 1/2 C. butter, softened
- 1/2 C. Crisco oil, room temp.
- 2 C. superfine sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 T. pure vanilla extract
- 2 C. 4 T. cake flour or 2 C. all purpose unbleached flour
- 1 tps. baking soda
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 3/4 C. dark corn syrup
- Pecan Pie Filling, ingredients listed below
- Pastry Garnish, ingredients listed below
- PECAN PIE FILLING:1/2 C. dark brown sugar, packed3/4 C. dark corn syrup1/3 C. cornstarch4 egg yolks1 1/2 C. half-and-half1/8 tsp. sea salt3 T. butter1 tsp. pure vanilla extract. Whisk together all ingredients except Butter and vanilla in a heavy saucepan until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute or until thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. Place wax paper on top of filling to prevent a film forming and chill for 4 hours.
- CAKE:Ingredients listed above. Sprinkle toasted pecans evenly into 3 generously buttered 9-inch round cake pans; shake to coat bottoms and sides of pans. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in remaining 1 cup pecans. Beat egg whites at medium speed until stiff peaks form and fold one-third of egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites taking care not to over mix. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes or until cakes test done. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes and then invert layers onto wax pater-lined wire racks. Brush tops and sides of layers with corn syrup and cool completely. On a cake plate place 1 layer, pecan side up. Spread half of Pecan Pie Filling. Place second layer, pecan side up, on first layer and spread with remaining filling. Top with last layer, pecan side up. Decorate with pastry garnish.
- PASTRY GARNISH:1 package refrigerated pie crusts1 large egg1 T. water24 pecan halves.cinnamon sugarUnfold pie crusts and cut into 8 to 10 fall leaves. Without cutting all the way through take a knife and cut veins in the dough. Whisk egg and water together then brush the tops of the leaves and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place leaves on balls of aluminum foil that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 425 degrees F. for about 7 minutes or until golden brown. Let bake for 10 minutes before removing from foil balls. Pinch 12 pea-size pieces from pastry trimmings. Place between pecan halves forming sandwiches. Wrap other scraps around the pecan sandwiches so that they look like pecans still in the shell. You want about one third of the pecans to show as if the nuts had just been cracked open. Brush with egg/water mixture and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.