Pumpkin Pie and Turnover Filling
Source of Recipe
Maggie Dea Viken
List of Ingredients
- 1 C. brown sugar, packed
- 1 T. all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 C. solid pack pumpkin
- 1 1/3 C. canned milk
- 1 egg, beat slightly
- Mix brown sugar, flour, salt, and pumpkin pie spice and blend well. Stir in canned pumpkin, then add evaporated milk and egg. Stir until smooth.
- PASTERY FILLING- Cook over medium heat in a large pot until desired consistency for filling. Remove from heat and let cool.
- PIE FILLING- Pour into pastery-lined 9" pie pan. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Add nut topping to the top of the pie in a ring about 2 inches in from outside edge of pie. Continue to bake another 15 minutes or intil knife inserted in middle comes out clean. When cool serve pie with a mound of whipped cream in center of ring of nuts.
- NUT TOPPING- Mix together 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, 1 tablespoon shortening, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind and 1 tablespoon all purpose flour until mixture is crumbly.