Pizza gaina(Easter Meat Pie)
Source of Recipe
Easter Meat Pie
(Old Family Recipe)
List of Ingredients
4 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
2 pounds ricotta cheese
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, chopped into small cubes
1 pound cooked ham, chopped into small cubes
1/2 pound Genoa salami, chopped into small cubes
1/4 pound prosciutto, chopped into cubes
1/4 pound of jarlsberg cheese, chopped into small cubes
1/4 c of parmesan cheese
4 egg yolks (to brush top of pies)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. Place ricotta in a large mixing bowl and add eggs one at a time while mixing on low speed. Stir in mozzarella, jarsberg, ham, salami, and prosciutto until all ingredients are well combined.
3. Line two 9 inch pans with pastry dough.
4. Spoon half of mixture into each pan.
5. Sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over each pie, then cover with top pastry.
6. Crimp edges and cut steam vents in tops. brush top of pies with egg yolks, this gives it a golden color.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until crust is golden brown.
8. Cool on racks.
Makes 12 servings