A Potato Gratin Seasoned with Onions and Garlic and Baked under a Cheese Crust. This dish is great with a leg of lamb, a pot roast or a plain chicken.
Serves 8 people.
List of Ingredients
- 10 potatoes (about 3 1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 onions (or shallots) peeled and either minced or thickly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup broth
- Freshly ground white pepper
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Sweet butter
- 1 1/2 cups grated or shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Prepare the potatoes and onions, drying the potatoes well. Heat together the milk, broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Rub an ovenproof dish with garlic, then salt, then butter. Add one layer of sliced potatoes, one layer of onions and half of the milk-broth mixture. Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Add the rest of the potatoes, onions, milk-broth mixture, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bring to a boil on top of the stove, dot with butter and bake for 30 minutes uncovered.