Banana Brownie Skillet
Source of Recipe
This healthy whole grain chocolate dessert recipe is made in a skillet, on the gril
List of Ingredients
Banana Brownie Skillet
1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
2/3 cup buckwheat flour
2/3 cup sugar or sugar substitute*
blend equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Nonstick cooking spray
1 large banana, sliced
Powdered sugar (optional)
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries (optional)
1 8 ounce container frozen light whipped
dessert topping, thawed (optional)
1. In a large bowl, stir together chocolate pieces,
buckwheat flour, sugar, nonfat dry milk powder,cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together egg whites, buttermilk, and vanilla; add all at once to chocolate mixture. Stir until combined.
3. Lightly] coat an 8- to 9-inch cast-iron skillet with
nonstick cooking spray. (Or nest two 8-inch square or round disposable foil pans together to make a double thick layer; lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.) Spoon batter into prepared skillet or foil pan. Arrange banana slices on top.
4. Arrange medium coals around the edges of the grill. Test for medium-low heat in the center of the grill (not over coals). Place pan on grill rack in the center of the grill (not over coals).Cover and grill for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges start to pull away from the sides of the skillet or pan. Cool for 30 minutes; serve warm.
5. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with strawberries and whipped topping.
Makes 12 slices.
Lightly coat a 6-inch spring-form pan or an 8- to 9-inch
cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
Spread batter in pan; arrange banana slices on top.
Brush banana slices lightly with lemon juice.
Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 65 to 75 minutes
for the springform pan or 35 to 40 minutes for the
skillet or until a toothpick inserted in center comes
out clean and edges start to pull away from the sides
of the pan.
Cool springform pan on wire rack for 10 minutes;
loosen sides of pan and cool 30 minutes before
removing sides of pan.
For skillet, cool on wire rack 30 minutes before
serving. If desired, melt 1-ounce white baking
chocolate and 1/4 teaspoon shortening in a small
heavy saucepan over low heat just until melted;
drizzle atop brownie. Or, sprinkle top of brownie
with powdered sugar if desired. Serve warm.
MAKES: 12 servings
Choose from Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking
or Equal® Sugar Lite. Follow package directions
to use product amount equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar.
PER SERVING WITH SUBSTITUTE:
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Fat, total(gm): 5
Saturated fat(gm): 3
Dietary Fiber, total(gm): 2
Other Carb(d.e): 2