Rum-Pepper Steak Sandwiches
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed, or 2-1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 (1-1/2-pound) flank steak
- Flavored mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup fat-free or light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- Remaining ingredients:
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion (about 2 onions)
- 16 (1-ounce) slices sourdough bread
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato (about 3 tomatoes)
- To prepare marinade, combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Trim fat from steak, and add steak to bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning bag occasionally. Remove the steak from bag, reserving marinade. Pour the marinade into a microwave-safe dish. Microwave marinade at HIGH 1 minute or until mixture boils.
- To prepare flavored mayonnaise, combine mayonnaise and horseradish, and set aside.
- Prepare grill.
- Place steak and red onion slices on a grill rack, and grill onions 4 minutes on each side, basting with the reserved marinade. Remove onions from grill. Turn the steak, and grill an additional 8 minutes or until steak is desired degree of doneness. Remove steak from grill. Place bread slices on grill rack, and grill 2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Spread 1 tablespoon flavored mayonnaise on one side of each of 8 toasted bread slices. Divide steak, onion slices, lettuce, and tomato slices evenly among 8 bread slices. Top with remaining bread slices. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich).
- CALORIES 345 (29% from fat); FAT 11g (sat 4.4g, mono 4.6g, poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 22.6g; CARB 39.2g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOL 45mg; IRON 3.8mg; SODIUM 640mg; CALC 84mg