Quinoa Salad with Corn, Currants, and Avocado
Source of Recipe
posted by Gail
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons chile powder, such as Gebhardt’s
- 1 cup domestic quinoa
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Boiling water
- 3 ears of corn, shucked
- 6 scallions, white and tender green parts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or chipotle powder
- Black pepper in a mill
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 avocados (half an avocado per serving), halved and peeled
- Pour 1 ¼ cups water in a 1-quart saucepan, add the salt and 1 teaspoon of the chile powder, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the quinoa, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 12 to 15 minutes, until the water is absorbed and the grain tender and translucent. Remove from the heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn out the quinoa into a large salad bowl and fluff it with a fork. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Put the currants in a small bowl, cover them with boiling water, and set them aside to soften.
- Heat a stove-top grill over medium heat. Grill the corn, rotating it frequently, until it is evenly cooked, about 5 minutes. Let it cool until it is easy to handle, and then use a sharp knife to cut the kernels from the cob. Toss the corn, scallions, and cilantro with the quinoa. Drain the currants, add them to the salad, and toss again.
- In a small bowl, mix together the lime juice, vinegar, remaining 1 teaspoon of chile powder, and pinch of cayenne or chipotle powder. Season with salt and pepper, and whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss thoroughly. Taste and correct the seasoning.
- Cut the avocados in thin, lengthwise pieces, keeping the halves together. Set an avocado half on individual serving plates and press to spread it out like a fan. Season with a little salt and pepper, spoon some of the salad alongside each avocado fan, and serve immediately.