Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
1 package red velvet cake mix (regular size)
2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1-1/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 5 tablespoons 2% milk
1. Combine cake mix, 1 cup flour and yeast. In a small saucepan, heat water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 6-8 times. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
2. Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll dough into an 18x10-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter to within 1/4 in. of edges; sprinkle with sugar mixture.
3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut crosswise into 12 slices. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until puffed and light brown, 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly.
5. Beat confectioners’ sugar, butter, vanilla and enough milk to reach a drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over warm rolls. Yield: 12 servings.
Test Kitchen tips
Want 'em even more decadent? Spread a fluffy layer of cream cheese frosting over the top.
Make these morning beauties your own by swapping in your favorite flavor of cake mix. We particularly love spice cake, devil's food and orange.
1 cinnamon roll: 429 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 81g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC