Chicken Pot Pie (from Betty Crocker)
Source of Recipe
Debbie Cochran - cousin of April
List of Ingredients
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups cut up chicken
- 10 oz. frozen peas and carrots
- Celery Seed pastry ingredients:
- 2/3 cups plus 2 Tbs. shortening
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 to 5 Tbs. water
- Heat margarine over low heat until melted and blend in flour, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Cook over low heat stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in broth and milk.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir a minute.
- Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables. Reserve.
- Prepare celery seed pastry.
- Celery seed pastry directions:
- Cut shortening into flour, celery seed, and salt until particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in water (1 Tbs. at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened)
- One to two teaspoons can be added at a time if necessary.
- Gather pastry into a ball.
- Roll 2/3 of pastry into 13 inch square on lightly floured cloth covered board.
- Ease pastry into square pan (9X9X2).
- Pour chicken filling into pastry lined pan.
- Roll remaining dough into an 11 inch square.
- Place over filling and roll edges under.
- Cut slits in center to allow steam to escape.
- Cook uncovered in 425 degree oven until the crust is brown (about 30-35 minutes)
Makes 6 servings.