Jamie Oliver's Basic Tomato Sauce
Source of Recipe
Jamie Oliver (The Naked Chef), Australian Table, July 2000
List of Ingredients
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small dried red chilli
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 x 400g tins of Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 handful of basil or marjoram (or both), roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- In a thick-bottomed pan, gently fry the garlic with the olive oil, and then add the chilli, oregano and tomatoes. Mix gently, but do not break up the tomatoes as this will release the pips, which will make the sauce slightly bitter. By leaving the tomatoes whole and letting the mixture cook slowly you'll get a nice sweet sauce.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for an hour. Add the vinegar, then stir and chop up the tomatoes in the sauce.
- Now add fresh basil or marjoram (or both), season well to taste, and add 2-3 tablespoons of your best extra virgin olive oil.