Nivik (chickpeas with spinach)
Source of Recipe
Goodies and Grains shop
Serve with salad, pickles and bread for an inexpensive filling meal. Start soaking the chickpeas the night before.
List of Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 750g spinach
- pepper to taste
- 1 lge onion, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- wash chickpeas well. Place in a bowl and cover with 4 1/2 cups cold water. Leave to soak overnight.
- Place chickpeas and water in a deep pan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 2 hours or until tender.
- In a seperate pan saute onion. Add tomato paste, about 2 tsp salt, pepper and sugar. add to the cooked chickpeas.
- Wash spinach well, remove roots and discolored leaves. Chop leaves and stems roughly and add to chickpea mixture.
- cover and simmer 20-30 minutes adding more water if needed. nivik should be moist not too liquid.
Also good served cold therefore an ok lunch or picnic food.