Perak Rendang Tok
Source of Recipe
The Star Paper
This dish may take a bit of time and effort to prepare but the result would definitely be well worth the trouble taken :o)
List of Ingredients
1 kg Topside Beef,cut into fairly large cubes
½ cup grated coconut
2 coconuts, grated and squeezed for thick coconut milk then add 2½ cups water to residue to mix and squeeze out for general santan
(A) Ingredients to be finely pounded and mixed
· 10 fresh chillies,seeded
· 10 dried red chillies, seeded
· 4cm galangal
· 1 tsp fennel powder (jintan Manis)
· 1 tsp cumin powder (jintan putih)
· 1 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 tsp ground white pepper
· ½ tsp ground black pepper
· 4 cm cinnamon stick
· 7 cardamoms (Buah Pelaga)
· 6 cloves
· 2 star anise
· 2 stalks lemon grass,smashed
· 3 pieces dried tamarind skin (asam keping)
· 1 pandan leaf, knotted
· 1 turmeric leaf, slightly shredded and knotted
· 1 tsp salt or to taste
· 2 tsp brown sugar or palm sugar (gula melaka)
· 4 kafir lime leaves (daun limau purut), torn
1.Marinate beef cubes overnight with 2 tbsp of the ground ingredients (A).
2.Fry the grated coconut till golden, then pound finely ( the result is called kerisik).
3.Heat the coconut milk with the pounded ingredients (A) and spices (B) in a deep pot
or earthen pot until mixture comes to a boil.
4.Add the marinated beef and ingredients (C ) and simmer over low heat for 1½ - 2
5.Stir occasionally to prevent the meat from sticking to the pot. Add the kaffir lime
6.When the gravy becomes thick,add the kerisik and lower the heat. Stir briskly until
mixture is thick and gravy coats the meat evenly.
7.Add seasoning to taste, then dish out and serve with rice.