Source of Recipe
Food.com Altered to my taste
These are the first hot pickles that we canned from our very first garden in 2012. They turned out PERFECT!!
List of Ingredients
30-40 Pickling cucumbers
4 cups Vinegar
3 quarts Water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 head of fresh or 1/2 cup of fresh dill
1 garlic, bulb whole cloves and some crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 Tablespoon pickling spices
3/4 cups Pickling Salt or Canning salt.
crushed red pepper flakes
dried hot peppers of some sort
1. Clean Cucumbers in cold water and vinegar solution.
2. Place water, vinegar, sugar, and salt into large pot.
3. Place sprigs of dill (stems and all) and pickling spices in cheesecloth. Knot cloth and place in pot with rest of ingredients.
4. Bring to a boil and make brine solution.
5. Place 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns, 2 cloves of garlic (one whole and one crushed), 1/8 teaspoon alum, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, and two whole dried hot peppers into each jar.
6. Place pickles into jar and fill with brine solution. Leave 1/4 headroom.
7. Can in Water bath for 8 minutes.
(THIS RECIPE IS FOR PINTS)