Chunky Cheese Macaroni
I found this recipe in a newspaper, about 15 years ago, when my daughter was in the hospital in Houston, TX. Been using it ever since.
List of Ingredients
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 3 qts. boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- Boil 13 minutes
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed Cheddar Cheese
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water in large kettle until tender drain.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, make a sauce with butter, flour, seasonings and milk. Stir in onion, and grated cheese.
- Arrange 1/3 of the drained macaroni in a greased casserole (3 quarts).
- Pour in 1/3 of the sauce, sprinkle with 1/3 of the cubed cheese, repeat the layering.
- Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve immediatly.
Serves about 8-10 as a main course.
Serve with a green salad.