Homemade Worchestershire Sauce
Source of Recipe
"The Vegetarian Chef," by David Cohlmeyer
List of Ingredients
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind concentrate (or 1 tbsp lime juice mixed with
- 2 tbsp Barbados molasses)
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp malt or cider vinegar
- 1 hot chile, split open (jalapeno or ?)
- 1 & 1/2 whole nutmegs
- 6 whole cloves
- Lemon rind, cut into a 1" square piece
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root, thinly sliced
- Combine all ingredients and heat slowly. Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove from heat, cover and leave at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain and transfer to a clean bottle. Store in the refrigerator, will keep up to 3 months.
NOTE: Tamarind concentrate, whole nutmeg and palm sugar are usually available from Indian and some Middle-Eeast groceries. Barbados molasses is often found in natural food stores.