This is a wonderful sandwich filler made from pork that cooks until it is shredded. It is spicy and can be served on rolls or on rice. There are variations to this recipe, but this one comes from my Aunt Fanny in Fall River, Mass. Thanks Aunt Fanny!
List of Ingredients
- 2 lbs pork meat, cut into small pieces
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. hot crushed red peppper (dried type or wet/"Pemento Muida")
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup red table wine
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Crisco
- Wash pork, cube and place in large pot.
- Slice onions and place in pan.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cook at low heat for 1-1/2 hours; if mixture becomes dry, add 1 cup water and stir; DO NOT ALLOW TO DRY OUT! Continue to add small amounts of water as needed; Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Pork should be tender and break apart easily.