Ruby Tuesday Strawberry Tallcake For 2
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sponge Cake:
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 to 18 scoops vanilla ice cream (1/2 gallon)
- 1/2 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 can whipped cream
- Defrost the frozen strawberries and pour the entire package, including syrup, into a blender or food processor and puree for 10 to 15 seconds until smooth. Combine the strawberry puree with 1 1/2 cups of the water in a small saucepan over medium heat. When the strawberry mixture comes to a boil, add the entire package of Jell-O, stir to dissolve, and remove the pan from the heat to cool. When the strawberry mixture has cooled to room temperature, divide it in half into two medium bowls.
- Beat the whipping cream until it is thick and forms peaks. Fold the cream into one of the bowls of the strawberry mixture until well combined. This is your strawberry mousse. Cover and chill. To the other bowl, add the remaining 1/4 cup of water. This is the strawberry syrup. Cover and chill this mixture as
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the egg yolks until they turn creamy and a much lighter shade of yellow. Add the sugar and blend it well into the yolks. Add the water and vailla and combine well with the yolks mixture.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and add it to the yolk mixture. Mix well until the batter is smooth. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until smooth, then add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat until the whites are stiff and form peaks. Fold the egg whites into the batter and mix slowly just until well combined.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 17x11 inch cookie sheet (with turned up edges all the way around) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the top of the sponge cake is a light brown color.
- When the cake has cooled and the mousse has firmed up, you are ready to assemle the cake. First divide the cake into three even sections by cutting down the width of the cake twice with a sharp knife. Be sure the cake has coom loose from the pan. You may need to use a spatula to unstick the cake sections.
- Divide the mousse in half and spread each half onto two sections of the cake. Carefully place the layers on top of each other so that the mousse has been sandwiched in the middle between the three layers. This cake can be stored in the refrigerator for several days until you need it.
- When you are ready to assemble the dessert, slice the cake into 6 even sections. Put a slice into a medium sized bowl (or a large goblet if you have one), then arrange 2 to 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream around the cake. Pour a sixth of the strawberry sauce over the top of the cake and ice cream, sprinkle some sliced strawberries on top, then cover the thing with whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining servings.
- Makes six (2 person) servings.