Buttermilk Hot Rolls
Source of Recipe
From "The Old Farmer's Almanac Readers' Best Recipes"
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup lukewarm (105° to 115° F) buttermilk
- 1 package (2¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon plus ¼ cup sugar or honey, divided
- ⅓ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a large bowl.
- In a bowl, mix together buttermilk, yeast, and 1 tablespoon sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes. Add butter, ¼ cup sugar, and salt, and stir.
- In another bowl, combine ½ cup flour and baking soda. Add to yeast mixture. Gradually add more flour, beating thoroughly for 5 minutes and adding only enough flour to make dough firm enough to handle. Turn dough into prepared bowl. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour to rise.
- Punch down dough. Shape into balls and place on a baking sheet. Cover and set aside to double in bulk.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 18 rolls