Source of Recipe
From "The All New Ball Book of Canning and Preserving"
List of Ingredients
- 2 pounds onions, diced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups apple juice
- 3 tablespoons Ball® Low or No-Sugar Pectin
- ½ cup sugar
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a 6-quart stainless steel or enameled Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in apple juice and pectin. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Remove and discard bay leaf. Skim foam, if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar, leaving ¼-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid, and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Makes about 5 (½-pint) jars