Really Quick Dill Pickles
Source of Recipe
From "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich
List of Ingredients
- 4 pounds (4-inch) pickling cucumbers, blossom ends removed
- 24 whole black peppercorns
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated, peeled, and chopped
- 6 small dried hot peppers, such as japonés or de árbol, slit lengthwise (optional)
- 6 dill heads, with sprigs
- 2¾ cups cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, or distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup (2.3 ounces) pickling salt
- Halve or quarter the cucumbers lengthwise, if you like, or leave them whole. Divide the peppercorns, garlic, and hot peppers (if you're using them) among six pint or three quart mason jars. Pack a portion of the cucumbers into each jar along with some dill.
- In a saucepan, bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt. Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers, leaving ½ inch headspace. Close the jars with two-piece caps.
- In a boiling water bath, process pint jars for 10 minutes; quart jars for 15 minutes. Store the pickles for at least 1 month in a cool, dry place before eating them.
Makes 3 quarts