Sandwich-Sliced Dill Pickles
Source of Recipe
From "The Joy of Pickling" by Linda Ziedrich
List of Ingredients
- 4½ pounds (4-inch) pickling cucumbers
- 6 tablespoons (3.5 ounces) pickling salt
- 2 quarts plus 3 cups water
- 12 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 24 whole black peppercorns
- 6 dill heads
- 2¾ cups cider vinegar (5 percent)
- Slice the cucumbers lengthwise 3⁄16 inch thick, discarding a narrower slice at either side. Put the cucumbers into a bowl. Dissolve half of the salt in 2 quarts water, pour this brine over the cucumbers, and weight them with a heavy plate that just fits inside the bowl. Let them stand at room temperature for 12 hours.
- Drain the cucumbers. Divide the garlic, crushed red pepper, and peppercorns evenly among six pint mason jars. Pack the cucumber slices — you may need to trim them a bit to fit — along with a dill head into each jar.
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar with the remaining 3 cups water and the remaining salt. Bring the contents to a boil, stirring to dissolve the salt. Pour the hot liquid over the cucumber slices, leaving ½ inch headspace. Close the jars with two-piece caps. In a boiling water bath, process the jars for 10 minutes. Store the cooled jars in a cool, dry, dark place for at least 3 weeks before eating the pickles.
Makes 6 pints