Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Source of Recipe
From "The Old Farmer's Almanac Readers' Best Recipes"
List of Ingredients
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons instant beef bouillon or 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices toasted French bread
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat.
Add onions and cook slowly, up to 45 minutes to release maximum flavor, or until nicely browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add water, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- To serve, top each bowl with one slice of bread. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
Makes 4 servings