Catfish: Fried Catfish with Pecan Sauce
Source of Recipe
From "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Villas
List of Ingredients
◦ ½ cup toasted pecans, chopped
◦ 4 tablespoons (½ stick) butter, melted
◦ 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
◦ ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
◦ Tabasco sauce to taste
◦ 1 cup white cornmeal
◦ ¼ cup all-purpose flour
◦ ¼ teaspoon salt
◦ ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
◦ 2 pounds fresh catfish fillets, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
◦ Vegetable oil for frying
To make the sauce, in a bowl combine all the ingredients and stir till well blended.
To make the catfish, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper on a plate and mix well. Dredge the catfish fillets in the mixture and place on another plate.
In a large cast iron skillet, heat about ¼ inch of oil over moderate heat and, in batches if necessary, fry the fillets about 5 minutes on each side or till nicely browned. Drain on paper towels. To serve, spoon a little sauce over each fillet and serve hot.
Makes 4 to 6 servings