Baked Tuna-Stuffed Bell Peppers
Source of Recipe
From "The Glory of Southern Cooking" by James Villas
List of Ingredients
- 4 large green bell peppers
- 1 cup raw long-grain rice, cooked according to package directions
- One 6-ounce can solid white tuna packed in oil, drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- One 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- ½ cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups hot water
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cut a wide circle around the stems of the peppers, lift off the lids, and discard. Scoop out and discard the seeds and membranes, trim the bottoms of the peppers so they will stand upright, and arrange in a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice, tuna, onion, corn, and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and paprika, and mix till well blended. Stuff equal amounts of the mixture into the peppers, spoon equal amounts of the chopped tomato over the mixture, and sprinkle equal amounts of cheese over the tops. Pour the hot water around the peppers and bake till the tops are golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Carefully lift the peppers out of the dish with a slotted spoon, place on a large plate, and serve piping hot.
Makes 4 servings