Better-than-Mother-in-Law's Creamy Mac & Cheese
Source of Recipe
From "The Old Farmer's Almanac Readers' Best Recipes"
List of Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 box (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup cubed Velveeta
- 1 can (10.5 ounces) Campbell's cheese soup
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 13x9-inch casserole or baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
In a stockpot, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add salt and macaroni. Cook macaroni al dente, according to package directions; drain, and return to pot.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, remaining butter, Velveeta, and cheese soup. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted, stirring often.
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni. Add Colby and 1 cup Cheddar. Stir to combine. Transfer to prepared casserole. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 8 servings