Captivating Coconut Cream Pie
Source of Recipe
From "Southern Living: Recipe Revival"
List of Ingredients
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 4 large egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1¾ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1¼ cups whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Garnish: fresh toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Unroll the piecrust, and place in a 9-inch pie plate; fold edges under, and crimp. Line the piecrust with aluminum foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until the crust is set and edges are golden brown. Remove the pie weights and foil; bake for 5 to 7 more minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 30 minutes).
- Combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large heavy saucepan; gradually stir in the half-and-half and cream of coconut. Cook over medium, whisking constantly, 6 minutes or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl until well blended. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of the hot sugar mixture into the eggs. Whisk the eggs into the remaining hot sugar mixture, whisking constantly. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the butter, vanilla, and ½ teaspoon of the coconut extract, whisking until the butter melts. Whisk in 1½ cups of the flaked coconut.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Cool completely (about 30 minutes); cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350° F. Spread the remaining ¼ cup flaked coconut in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted.
Beat the whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in the remaining ½ teaspoon coconut extract. Spoon the whipped cream onto the chilled pie. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
Serves 8 to 10