.Foolproof All-Butter Double-Crust Pie Dough
Source of Recipe
From "The Perfect Pie" by America's Test Kitchen
List of Ingredients
- 20 tablespoons (2 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, chilled, divided
- 2 ½ cups (12 ½ ounces) all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (4 ounces) ice water, divided
- Grate 4 tablespoons butter on large holes of box grater and place in freezer. Cut remaining 16 tablespoons butter into ½-inch cubes.
- Pulse 1 ½ cups flour, sugar, and salt in food processor until combined, 2 pulses. Add cubed butter and process until homogeneous paste forms, 40 to 50 seconds. Using your hands, carefully break paste into 2-inch chunks and redistribute evenly around processor blade. Add remaining 1 cup flour and pulse until mixture is broken into pieces no larger than 1 inch (most pieces will be much smaller), 4 to 5 pulses. Transfer mixture to bowl. Add grated butter and toss until butter pieces are separated and coated with flour.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup ice water over mixture. Toss with rubber spatula until mixture is evenly moistened. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup ice water over mixture and toss to combine. Press dough with spatula until dough sticks together. Using spatula, divide dough into 2 equal portions. Transfer each portion to sheet of plastic wrap. Working with one portion at a time, draw edges of plastic over dough and press firmly on sides and top to form compact, fissure-free mass. Wrap in plastic wrap and form into 5-inch disk. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
Let chilled dough sit on counter to soften slightly, about 10 minutes, before rolling. (Wrapped dough can be frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, let dough thaw completely on counter before rolling.)
Makes one 9-inch double crust