Glazed Strawberry Pie
Source of Recipe
From "Southern Living: Recipe Revival"
List of Ingredients
- ½ (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Red liquid food coloring (optional)
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Fit the piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions; fold the edges under, and crimp. (Do not prick the crust.) Bake according to the package directions. Cool completely.
- Place 4 cups of the strawberries, cut sides down, in cooled, baked piecrust. Crush the remaining 2 cups strawberries in a medium saucepan; add ½ cup water. Bring to a boil over medium; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 3 minutes. Pour the mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Discard the solids. Return ¾ cup strawberry liquid to the pan; discard any remaining strawberry liquid.
- Whisk together the granulated sugar and cornstarch; whisk into the strawberry liquid in the pan. Boil over medium 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is translucent. Remove from heat; stir in the butter and, if desired, 6 drops food coloring. Cool 10 minutes.
- Spoon the strawberry glaze over the berries, making sure to cover all berries. Chill two hours.
- Beat the cream and powdered sugar at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe around the strawberry mixture in the crust.
Makes one 9-inch pie