.Gluten-Free Double-Crust Pie Dough
Source of Recipe
From "The Perfect Pie" by America's Test Kitchen
List of Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 13 ounces (2 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons) all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces and frozen for 10 to 15 minutes
- Combine ice water, sour cream, and vinegar in bowl. Process flour blend, sugar, salt, and xanthan gum in food processor until combined, about 5 seconds. Scatter butter over top and pulse until crumbs look uniform and distinct pieces of butter are no longer visible, 20 to 30 pulses.
- Pour half of sour cream mixture over flour mixture and pulse to incorporate, about 3 pulses. Add remaining sour cream mixture and pulse until dough comes together in large pieces around processor blade, about 20 pulses.
- Using spatula, divide dough into 2 equal portions. Transfer each portion to sheet of plastic wrap and form each into 5-inch disk. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Let chilled dough sit on counter to soften slightly, about 30 minutes, before rolling. (Dough cannot be frozen.)
Makes one 9-inch double crust