Fried Catfish with Pickled Peppers
Source of Recipe
From "Southern Living: Recipe Revival"
List of Ingredients
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- Vegetable oil
- Pickled mild banana pepper rings
- Pickled jalapeño pepper rings
- Combine the flour and 1 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper in shallow dish. Whisk together the eggs and 2 tablespoons water in another dish. Combine the cornmeal, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the remaining 1 teaspoon pepper in a third dish.
- Sprinkle the catfish with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Dredge the fillets, one at a time, in the flour mixture, shaking off excess; dip in the egg mixture, and dredge in the cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. Place on a wire rack in a jellyroll pan.
- Pour the oil to a depth of 2 inches in a cast iron Dutch oven. Heat over medium-high to 350° F. Fry the fillets, two at a time, in the hot oil 6 minutes or until done. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve with the pickled pepper rings.