Man-Catching Fried Chicken
Source of Recipe
From "Southern Living: Recipe Revival"
List of Ingredients
- 4½ pounds chicken pieces
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup plus 2½ tablespoons honey
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Pickled okra, halved lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 200° F. Place the chicken in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Whisk together the buttermilk and egg until blended; pour over the chicken. Cover; chill 1 to 8 hours, turning the chicken after 30 minutes.
- Pour the vegetable oil to a depth of 1½ inches in a Dutch oven; heat over medium to 340° F. Whisk together the flour and the next four ingredients in a shallow dish. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- Fry the chicken in batches in hot oil 20 minutes or until done, turning occasionally. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels in a jellyroll pan; keep warm in a 200° F oven.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium; whisk in the honey until blended. Stir in the pecans; bring the mixture to a boil, whisking often. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Drizzle over the chicken; serve immediately with pickled okra.
Serves 6 to 8